Saturday, June 25, 2005

master dynamite-e, esquire

imaginative pseudonym: so did you like sideways?
me: no. not really.
imaginative pseudonym: so why didn't you just say that on your blog?

so, i liked napoleon dynamite. at first, i feared it would be one of those films "lost" on dvd, in the sense that its quirk and eccentricities would not be as captivating or enchanting as they would have been had i taken myself along to the cinema when it was showing. and, at first, my fears appeared as though they would be realised. the performances seemed forced, affected and self-conscious. yet despite this, by its final reel, this so-called "outsider comedy" and its tale of defiant (and triumphant) individualism had won me over. Complemented by a great soundtrack (my pick of which is alphaville's forever young which, coincidentally, happens to be on the karaoke menu at charlton's - don't ask me how i know that, or what i was doing last saturday night) this is a charming and endearing film. and yes, it got me.

No comments: